From our local newspaper. Low fat yogurt can be substituted for whole milk yogurt. (This recipe can be also transformed with a snap of your fingers into a soup by adding 1 cup of cold water or broth, to desired consistency. Serve with an ice cube to keep soup chilled.)
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 cups whole milk yogurt, drained (read intro)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped (NOT dried)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill weed, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh rose petals, cut into ribbons
- 1 dried rose bud (optional)
- In a serving bowl combine the cucumber, raisins, yogurt, sour cream, scallions, mint, dill, garlic and walnuts.
- Stir mixture thoroughly and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate dip for at least 1 hour before serving.
- When ready to serve, garnish with the mint, rose petals and the rose bud, if using.
- Serve with pita bread triangles, Arabic bread, crostini, etc.
- Yield is estimated.
This was nice. I liked the green onion in this version. I did thin ours somewhat with water because I used Balkan (thick) yogurt and wanted this as a salad along with Persian Chicken Stuffed With Rice on additionally made stuffing. I used Sun-maid Thompson raisins, no sour cream as we are corn free! I just added extra yogurt, I did not add any dill as a preference here, I may have used less garlic, and I used sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and dried rose petals instead of fresh as it is what I had on hand, plus the rest of the ingredients except for the optional dried rose bud. If I make this again I'd like to use fresh rose petals. Made for VIP of Veggie Swap 33 ~ April 2011.
The mast-o-khiar I had in Iran had no raisins or dill in it,so that was something new for me. I liked the addition of green onion and walnuts . Thanks for sharing a yummy dip.
I loved this. One taster was a bit put off by the raisins; another wished there had been less dill. But it all disappeared, everyone saying "what is that flavor?" since, without the rose leaves or bud, there was no hint as to the presence of rosewater. Great stuff, CG!