Recipe by English_Rose
For a great accompaniment to all manner of Indian inspired dishes, rustle up spiced red lentils with onion and garlic.
Top Review by now2dance
Success! I used for this recipe for A Canadian Legion dinner for 70 people. People ate lentils who had never seen them before and raved about the goodness. Thank you!. I used dried onions and canned diced tomatoes (squeezed out the extra liquid) just because of the scale of prep. All worked fine. Highly recommended. We will use this as a staple in our home.
- 10 1⁄2 ounces red lentils, washed in 2-3 changes of water
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the lentils in a large saucepan and add the water. Boil until mushy.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions until golden. Drain half of them with a slotted spoon and reserve in a separate bowl.
- Add the ginger and garlic pastes to the pan and stir for a few seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and the chili powder and cook until soft.
- Season with salt and stir in the cooked lentils.
- Serve hot, topped with the reserved fried onions and a sprinkling of cilantro leaves.