Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
For a great accompaniment to all manner of Indian inspired dishes, rustle up spiced red lentils with onion and garlic.
- Place the lentils in a large saucepan and add the water. Boil until mushy.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions until golden. Drain half of them with a slotted spoon and reserve in a separate bowl.
- Add the ginger and garlic pastes to the pan and stir for a few seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and the chili powder and cook until soft.
- Season with salt and stir in the cooked lentils.
- Serve hot, topped with the reserved fried onions and a sprinkling of cilantro leaves.
Success! I used for this recipe for A Canadian Legion dinner for 70 people. People ate lentils who had never seen them before and raved about the goodness. Thank you!. I used dried onions and canned diced tomatoes (squeezed out the extra liquid) just because of the scale of prep. All worked fine. Highly recommended. We will use this as a staple in our home.
Really easy to make and quite tasty. I followed the recipe as shown except that I added 1 teaspoon of turmeric. I used split red lentils and it turned a little mushy but it was still really good. I will make this again. Thanks for posting.