Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Quick and cheap fake Indian food.
- 1⁄2 cup green lentil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- Cook the lentils in the water over medium heat until tender (about 20 minutes).
- In a fry pan, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil until tender.
- Add the spices and lentils into the fry pan. Cook over medium heat until the lentils are just slightly mushy. Be very careful with the cardamom, it can easily overpower any spice; add it a dash at a time.
- Serve with brown rice or warm pita.
I'm so sorry, but we did not like this at all. There was too much salt, and something in this made my and my husband's mouth go numb, not with heat, but with flavor. Maybe there's just too much of each spice. I plan on trying another recipe and incorporating some of these spices into it.