Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A nice soup with a bit of heat.
Make and share this Masoor Dal Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 cup masoor dal (red lentils)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or as desired)
- Tie the cloves, bay leaves and peppercorns in a piece of cheesecloth.
- Put the dal and 5 cups water into a heavy, large pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove the scum that rises to the top.
- Add the spice bag and turmeric to the pot-reduce to simmer and cover pot with lid cracked a bit.
- Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove spice bag and place soup in a food processor ans whirl to smooth.
- Return to pot and add remaining ingredients.
- Serve with croutons.