One of two ways to make this Dal
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup red lentil
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 whole green chilies, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
For Baghar (temper)
- 1wash dal in a few changes of water, until the water runs clear.
- 2soak in cold water for about half hour
- 4place in pot with water, salt, red chilli powder and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until dal is very tender.
- 5when dal is tender it should resemble a creamy soup (you might have to add more water if the its not creamy and cook for furtur 10 to 20 minutes).
- 6For the temper - heat oil in a frying pan add the garlic and fry until light brown , at this point add cumin and fry for few seconds and pour over the lentil and stir and cook for few minutes.
- 7cover and take off heat.
- 8serve hot.
- 9garnish with coriander and green chillies.
- 10Sprinkle a little garam masala on top.
- 11serve with boiled rice or chapatis.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Masoor Dal (Red Lentils)
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.5
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 22.2 mg
- Sodium 398.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 8.4 g