Chef #751306's Note:
simple indian food
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup red lentil (masoor dal)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 dried red chili, broken into pieces and seeds removed
- 1 pinch asafetida powder
- 1/2 limes, juice of or 1/2 lemon, juice of
- chopped cilantro (to garnish)
- 1Boil water.
- 2Add lentils. When it comes back to a boil, cook for five minutes uncovered, then turn the heat down and cover, cook for 15 minutes.
- 3Add salt, ginger, chile, coriander, cumin and tumeric. Cook for ten more minutes until lentils are very soft.
- 4Turn heat down to low.
- 5In a small pan, heat oil until very hot. Add mustard seeds. When they have finished popping, add chili pieces and then asafoetida. Pour hot oil into lentil pot and cover quickly.
- 6Turn off heat and let sit for five minutes. Add lemon or lime juice, adjust seasonings. Serve with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Masoor Dal
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.9
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 592.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: