Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I serve this in little bowls as part of an indian meal.
Make and share this Masoor Dal recipe from Food.com.
- Bring dal to boil in a large stock pot with 4 cups water and bring to a boil.
- When it comes to a boil, there will be a gray surface scum.
- Skim this away and then add the ginger and turmeric.
- Turn the heat low and simmer partially covered for 1 hour.
- When done, a thick puree settles on the bottom.
- Make sure you stir the dal several times in the last 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet and when it smokes add the pinch of asafetida.
- One second later, add the cumin and peppers.
- Cook until the peppers until both sides turn dark (a few seconds).
- Pour the oil spice mixture into the dal with the salt and stir for 1 minute.
I''m a lentil hound and this filled the bill. The only change I made was to grate the ginger, rather than sticking one piece of it in there.
This is quick, easy, and very yummy. I have made it once, and am cooking it for a second time as I type this. Both times I chopped up the ginger. The first time I subbed chili powder and added it with the turmeric. The second time I used the whole peppers, but subbed panch phoron instead of cumin seeds. As soon as it finishes cooking, I'll update this review! UPDATE: I subbed panch phoron, and ghee instead of the oil, and it was delicious! Stirred in some chopped fresh cilantro at the end. This is going to be a great breakfast tomorrow with some whole wheat toast!