1 hr 5 mins
Zeke Koch's Note:
I serve this in little bowls as part of an indian meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring dal to boil in a large stock pot with 4 cups water and bring to a boil.
- 2When it comes to a boil, there will be a gray surface scum.
- 3Skim this away and then add the ginger and turmeric.
- 4Turn the heat low and simmer partially covered for 1 hour.
- 5When done, a thick puree settles on the bottom.
- 6Make sure you stir the dal several times in the last 15 minutes.
- 7Heat the oil in a small skillet and when it smokes add the pinch of asafetida.
- 8One second later, add the cumin and peppers.
- 9Cook until the peppers until both sides turn dark (a few seconds).
- 10Pour the oil spice mixture into the dal with the salt and stir for 1 minute.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Masoor Dal
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.8
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 590.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 12.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: