These cute legumes are SO yummy! I made this for my nutrition class and it was a huge hit! Options for the vegan version are listed.
- 1⁄2 lb red lentil
- water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 6 inches cinnamon sticks, broken
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt or 14 ounces light coconut milk
- Wash the lentils well, and then put them into a sauce pan. Add 4 - 6 cups of salted water to cover the lentils.
- Bring lentils to a boil then reduce heat, cover and allow to simmer until they are soft. Keep the water level above the lentils.
- While the lentils are simmering, grind the spices together then toast them over low heat in a dry sauté pan until you have released their aromas. Set spices aside.
- Using the same sauté pan, heat ghee or oil over low to medium heat. Add onions and sauté until they are soft. Add garlic, sauté another 3-4 minutes. Do not burn the onions or garlic. Add spice mixture; continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Once the lentils have become soft, add them and their cooking liquid to the onion and spice mixture (add more water or broth if lentil are too thick). Stir and scrape up any bit from the bottom. Stir in lemon juice, adjust salt and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving add yogurt and heat through. Serve with a wheat flat bread such as roti.