Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Low fat mashed potatoes. From The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites.
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut potatoes into pieces (the smaller they are, the faster they will cook).
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain, but do not discard garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients, and mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Add additional milk if necessary.
- If desired, season with additional salt and pepper.
Very good. I used 1/2 cup skim milk for 2 lbs of potatoes. I also used white pepper instead of black, and I leave the skins on. This is our favorite mashed potato recipe!
I made these as part of my special Valentine's menu. The potatoes received rave reviews. I left the skins on. I also added a half a stick of butter and a large dollop of sour cream. I used the whip of my KitchenAid mixer instead of a potato masher. The texture was creamy after I made these additions. I also sprinkled in a tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley because I had some on hand and used in a few of my other dishes that night. Thanks for sharing a great recipe.
I made these last night with Chicken Fried Steak. They were very good and very simple to make. I didn't use the skim milk (blech) Give me fat or give me death! :o) I also added a handful of chopped chives at the last minute. Yum!