Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love this! You can use sweet potatoes, but I prefer yams. No sugar or marshmallows in this. The sweetness comes from a banana. Great with ham or for Thanksgiving or anytime!
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a 2 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Boil yam chunks in salted water until tender (about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of your chunks). Drain.
- Place cooked, drained yam chunks in a large bowl. Add banana. Mash together with a potato masher.
- Add 3 tbsp butter and the sour cream. Mash to combine well. Mash in the salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- Place mashed mixture into prepared casserole dish. Evenly drizzle with the 1 tbsp melted butter.
- Bake uncovered, at 350 for 20 minutes or until top just begins to slightly brown.
I really enjoyed this recipe when my MIL introduced it to me a few Thanksgiving seasons ago. I love the hint of banana in this dish. It adds the right amount of sweetness to the sweet potatoes (or yams). I will make it for Thanksgiving this year but with modifications since my daughter is allergic to dairy. I will use vegan butter (Earth Balance) and Toffuti sour cream.
Yum! This was simple and really tasty. Loved the hint of sweetness from the banana. Very creamy and good. Thanks Parsley for a nice side. Made for ZWT7 for the Emerald City Shakers.
Wow! I knew it would be good with sweet potatoes and banana. But you can't taste the sour cream's tang, it just melds into this fluffy orange goodness. Thank you so much for posting, made for ZWT4.