Recipe by lynnski / LA
This dish shows a bit of Portuguese-African fusion cuisine. Recipe adapted from "The Africa Cookbook, Tastes of a Continent" by Jessica B. Harris.
- 5 cups yams, pieces cooked
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- salt, to taste
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- nutmeg, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Puree the cooked yam pieces by putting them through a food mill.
- Gradually add the beaten egg, the butter, and the salt, mixing well to make sure that all the ingredients are blended.
- Spoon the mashed yam into an ovenproof cassserole, and paint the top with the beaten egg yolk.
- Place casserole in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with a few gratings of nutmeg and serve hot.