Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Make sweet potatoes special. From BHG.
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes (about 7 medium)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces aged white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon or 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 medium red apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, snipped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F; scrub potatoes and prick with a fork.
- Place potatoes on a foil lined baking sheet and bake until tender, about 40 minutes, remove from oven and let cool slightly; reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, scrape pulp from skins into a bowl and mash; add 2 tablespoons butter, 3/4 teaspoon salt, stir in cheese,bourbon (or juice), cream, and 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar while mashing.
- Transfer to a buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole; cover, bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe 2 quart casserole, combine remaining butter, brown sugar, and salt; add onions.
- Microwave on high until onion is crisp tender, about 3 to 4 minutes; add apples, cover and microwave until apple is tender, 2 minutes more.
- Stir in thyme and pepper; serve with sweet potatoes.