Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Copyright, 2007, Ellie Krieger, All rights reserved Show: Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger on the Food Network.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into a large dice (about 8 ounces each)
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk, warmed slightly
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (optional)
- Steam the potatoes in a large covered pan fitted with a steamer basket until they are tender, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl mash the potatoes with the buttermilk and orange juice.
- Stir in the zest, salt, and nutmeg. Serve the potatoes topped with the butter, if desired.
I really enjoyed the orange zest, it added a new element to the sweet potato that I had not yet experienced. I would use this recipe again.