Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Southern Living.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium purple onions, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Combine the first 3 ingredients and add to a lightly greased 11x7 inch baking dish or a shallow 2-quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with salt and cayenne.
- Bake, covered, in a 375° oven for 40-45 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Add syrup and next 3 ingredients; mash, leaving a few lumps.
- Sprinkle with pecans.