Recipe by chrish574
Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Apples Recipe From Woman's Day | November 13, 2007 Sweet potatoes are perfect with any meal, especially when coupled with cinnamon applesauce and chunks of dried apple chips. Cut cooking time in half by zapping the taters in the microwave instead of baking them in the oven.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I'm a big fan of the sweet potato, so this recipe was a real draw for me! And since I'm always making my own applesauce, this was a cinch & very tasty, too, I might add! SPs, apples & cinnamon ~ a great combination! I did, however, see f flaw in the directions you gave. If you're gonna scoop the finished product into a serving bowl, of what value are the scooped out potato shells? So, I spooned the potato & apple combo into the shells for a great presentation! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]
- 4 large sweet potatoes (about 2 1/2 lb)
- 1 cup cinnamon applesauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup apple chips, broken in large pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub, dry and pierce the sweet potatoes in several places with a fork. Arrange on paper towels in microwave. Cook on high 15 to 20 minutes, turning halfway, until soft when pierced with a fork. (Or, place directly on oven rack. Bake at 400°F for 45 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork.).
- Halve, then scoop potatoes from skins. Mash in large bowl, then stir in applesauce and salt. Heat in microwave 5 minutes until hot. Spoon into serving bowl; top with crushed apple chips.
- Plan Ahead: You can microwave or bake potatoes in the oven, then scoop and mash 1 day before. Reheat to serve.