Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I grew up eating sweet potatoes cooked this way. Granny knew it was my favorite and she always served them when I was visiting her. I leave out the nutmeg (personal preference).
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (optional, to taste) or 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (optional, to taste)
- 40 large marshmallows (I use miniature marshmallows)
- Place potatoes and salt in a large pot.
- Add water to cover; bring to a boil; boil for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain.
- Let potatoes cool until you can handle them; peel and cut into chunks.
- Place potatoes, butter, half-and-half, cinnamon, nutmeg (if using), vanilla, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Beat using an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Spoon potato mixture into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Top with marshmallows; bake 15 more minutes or until golden.
These were a hit at Thanksgiving and super easy to make! You can prepare them the day before, top with marshmallows and reheat in the oven day of. I substituted 2 Tbs. of brown sugar for the nutmeg.
So good. My boys that range in ages 8 to 2 loved it. Great as a leftover, too, with a bit of butter on top.