1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I grew up eating sweet potatoes cooked this way. Granny knew it was my favorite and she always served them when I was visiting her. I leave out the nutmeg (personal preference).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 -1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar (optional, to taste) or 1/2 cup brown sugar (optional, to taste)
- 40 large marshmallows (I use miniature marshmallows)
- 1Place potatoes and salt in a large pot.
- 2Add water to cover; bring to a boil; boil for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain.
- 3Let potatoes cool until you can handle them; peel and cut into chunks.
- 4Place potatoes, butter, half-and-half, cinnamon, nutmeg (if using), vanilla, and sugar in a large bowl.
- 5Beat using an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- 6Spoon potato mixture into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- 7Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- 8Top with marshmallows; bake 15 more minutes or until golden.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.1
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 24.0 mg
- Sodium 270.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 28.2 g
- Protein 3.1 g