Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Rachael Ray's Get Togethers. These have a secret ingredient!
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 banana, sliced
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes until tender. Drain.
- Return the pot (but not the potatoes) to the stovetop over medium heat. Add butter and banana to the pot.
- Cook for 5 minutes and add the juice of the orange to the pot; reserve the zest.
- Allow the juice to cook out, 1 minute.
- Add potatoes to the pot and the broth and sugar.
- Mash potatoes, banana, broth and sugar together until well combined. Season with nutmeg, salt, pepper and orange zest.
We really enjoyed this for Thanksgiving, but I had to up the spices a lot. I probably added another 1/3 cup brown sugar, full teaspoon nutmeg, and lots of salt and pepper. Immediately after cooking it was ok, but not great. I let it sit (I had prepped it earlier than I had meant to) for about an hour and then reheated. At that point it was really really good. I'd make again, I'd just plan on upping the spices.