Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe was given to me by the chef at GW Fins (http://gwfins.com/) in New Oleans. It is loved by my family.
- 10 lbs sweet potatoes, Peeled, cut 2-inch cubes
- 3 bananas, Very Ripe, Peeled and sliced
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 2 vanilla beans
- 3⁄4 lb honey
- 4 ounces light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1⁄8 table salt
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1 2⁄3 gallons water
- Bring the water and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil, ass the potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a separate pot, combine the cream, honey, brown sugar, split vanilla bean, banana and orange juice. Bring to a boil and cook on high for 5 minutes. Scrap vanilla bean and either puree the mixture with a mixing wand or mash well with a potato masher.
- When the potatoes are tender, drain well and add to the cream mixture. Cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes and mash gently with a spoon leaving some chunks of potato. The mixture will thicken slightly as the potatoes absorb the cream.
- Sir in the Bourbon and the soft butter.
- Can be held and reheated.