Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From First Magazine 10/1/07
Make and share this Mashed Rutabagas and Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- In large pot, bring potatoes, rutabagas and enough salted water to cover to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes and rutabagas are fork-tender; drain.
- Transfer to large bowl. Using hand masher or potato ricer, mash potato mixture until smooth. In pot over medium-high heat, warm buttermilk and butter for 1 minute, or until hot.
- Stir hot buttermilk mixture into potatoes. Fold in chives; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
these are wicked good easy and going to be one of my go to recipes cherry bombers
Though I'm more a fan of traditional mashed potatoes these were a nice change and were theperfect accompaniment for the short ribs I served them with. (http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/beef/beef-and-guiness-short-ribs.html?p=1). The tang from the buttermilk and rutabagas were a good contrast to the richness of the ribs. After tasting them as written I added a little half and half and more butter and lots of black pepper. Made for the 2015 Culinary Quest by one of the Toasted Tourists.
Delicious recipe. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag game. :)