Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe from Paula Deen. Another way to serve rutabagas, can be used instead of mashed potatoes.
- 8 ounces streak-o'-lean bacon, cut into chunks
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 rutabaga, cubed (I used the canned)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Wash and cut streak-o'-lean to your liking. Cook's note: You can use ham hocks, smoked wings or even cut up bacon. Place in a pot with enough water to cook the meat; add pinch of salt to water. Allow to come to a boil, about 15 minutes.
- Cook's note: The water will cook out, so it might be necessary to add more during cooking.
- Peel rutabagas and cut into 1/2-inch slices, then cut into cubes. Add rutabaga to the meat. Add sugar, salt and pepper. Cover pot and cook until tender, about 45 minutes. When done remove some water from the pot. Mash, add butter and season, to taste.
Perfection with pork, some greens, and cornbread! This isn't pretty, but it is delicious....thanks for sharing.