Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very nice mix of tastes. From Smart cooking by Anne Lindsay.
- 1 small rutabaga
- 4 carrots
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 29.58 ml frozen orange juice concentrate, undiluted
- 14.79 ml butter
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- fresh ground pepper
- chopped parsley
- Peel rutabaga and carrots.
- Cut int 3/4 inch chunks.
- Cook separately in boiling water until tender, drain.
- Mash each, either with potato masher or in a food processor.
- Combine rutabaga carrots, sugar, orange juice, butter, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if using.
- Serve immediately or cover and reheat before serving.
Wonderful stuff. I will keep this and use it over and over. My family is usually luke-warm when it comes to rutabagas (or neeps, as my Scottish friend calls them), but they really liked this a lot. I used a little less sugar and orange juice to suit my own taste. Excellent! Many thanks.
Great recipe, very easy to adapt to your own tastes. I added an extra pinch of nutmeg, some cinnamon, and a couple tablespoons of applesauce to give it more depth (and mask the rutabaga taste from picky eaters!). I also added a light breadcrumb topping for more texture, and baked it off in the oven while I prepared the rest of the meal. Added the fresh parsley on top just before serving. Will be making this for many years to come!