1/1 Photo of Mashed Pumpkin
This dish is often eaten with roti ( a local flatbread) but it will make a great vegetable side dish to any meal. What West Indians call pumpkin is actually calabaza squash.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil in a saucepan and fry onions until translucent.
- 2Add garlic and fry until light golden brown.
- 3Add cumin seeds and fry until they begin to pop and release their aroma. (About 30 seconds).
- 4Mix in the pumpkin and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- 5Add 1/4 cup water. Cover and lower heat to med low. Cook for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- 6Remove lid and mash pumpkin with fork or potato smasher thingy:-)until smooth.
- 7Add salt if using. If water is not yet absorbed, cover and simmer until water is absorbed.
- 8Remove pot from heat and serve as a side dish with rice or roti.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Pumpkin
Serving Size: 1 (22 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 39.7
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: