1/1 Photo of Mashed Potatoes With Turnips and Bacon
Are you sure you don't like turnips? This recipe might change your mind. If you are positive, you could substitute diced carrots, parsnips or celery root but you will need to increase the butter to 4 tablespoons. This is another December, 2007, Cook's Illustrated magazine recipe and the point stressed was to always rinse your peeled, sliced potatoes 3-4 times under cold running water to remove starch. There, I've told you. ;-) Now on with the show ...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces turnips, peeled and cut into a 1/2-inch dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled, quartered and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/3 cup low-fat chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup half-and-half, warmed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, minced
- 1In a large heavy pan, cook bacon over medium heat until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel and set aside.
- 2Drain off all except 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Add the butter and heat pan over medium heat until foaming subsides.
- 3Add the turnips and cook, stirring occasionally, until butter is browned and turnips are dark brown and slightly caramelized, 10-12 minutes. (if after 4 minutes turnips have not started to brown, increase heat).
- 4Add potatoes, broth and salt. Cook covered over low heat (broth should simmer gently; do not boil), until potatoes fall apart easily when poked with a fork and all liquid is absorbed. (25-30 minutes).
- 5Remove pan from heat, remove lid and allow steam to escape; about 2 minutes.
- 6Gently mash veggies together with a potato masher. Fold in half-and-half, reserved bacon bits and thyme. Taste for seasoning; add more salt if needed and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Potatoes With Turnips and Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.0
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 51.3 mg
- Sodium 786.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat chicken broth