Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Quick to fix mashed potatoes with two toppers-Italian Pesto-Sour Cream and Mexican Chili-Cheese. Solve your what to make for dinner dilemma. These toppers can also be served on baked potatoes.
- 2 2⁄3 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 2⁄3 cups potatoes buds instant mashed potatoes (dry)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (Or make your favorite Mashed potatoes)
Italian Pesto-Sour Cream Topper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons chopped drained roasted red peppers, from 7 ounce jar
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
Mexican Chili-Cheese Topper
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans, in sauce undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cansalsa-style diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded colby-monterey jack cheese (2-ounces)
- 2 medium green onions, sliced (2 tablespoons)
- Make desired topper first: Make mashed potatoes; Heat water, milk, butter and salt in a 3-quart saucepan; remove from heat.
- Stir in potatoes just until moistened.
- Let stand 30 seconds then whip with fork until desired consistency.
- serve with topper.
- Italian Pesto-Sour Cream Topper; mix sour cream, pesto and bell peppers; spoon onto potatoes.
- Sprinkle with olives.
- Mexican Chili-Cheese Topper; cook beans and tomatoes in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until hot; spoon onto potatoes.
- Sprinkle with Cheese and onions.
tried the italian-version, very quick and really great
This was really good. I did the Mexican Chili-Cheese Topper on a baked potato. It was easy and very tasty. This reminded me of an old restaurant in downtown Seattle called The Price Is Right. The entire menu consisted of a 1-pound baked potato with your choice of toppings. They had about 20 toppings to choose from and every one that I tried was great. Thanks Barb for a walk down memory lane and a great dinner!