Recipe by bmxmama
I got this recipe from an old copy of Bon Appetit that I had kept and found all the recipes I've marked to try, and have I! This is really good if you like the combination of ingredients. I've also used red potatoes for this and can't wait for yellow fins to come in locally so I can try those with this recipe. While the potatoes are cooking, I cook the spinach at this time, it saves time. *all cooking times are approximate*
- 4 (6 ounce) bagsfresh Baby Spinach
- 4 lbs white potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup butter (do not use margarine)
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm whole milk (I sometimes use 2 % mixed with half and half)
- 3 cups grated gruyere cheese (about 12 oz)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil, add baby spinach from the bags.don't add the bags ;).
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Drain well.
- Squeeze out as much excess water from spinach as you can.
- Set Aside.
- Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until very tender or to your desired consistency for mashed taters, about 30 minutes.
- Return potatoes to pot and mash until almost smooth.
- Set pot over a low heat on stove.
- Add butter and stir until melted.
- Gradually add milk, mashing until smooth.
- Add cheese and reserved spinach and stir until cheese melts.
- Thin with more milk, if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper according to tastes.