- 3 lbs boiling potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4-1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced scallion
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large kettle cover the potatoes with 2 inches salted cold water, bring the water to a boil, and simmer the potatoes for 40 to 50 minutes, or until they are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and force them through a ricer or peel them and mash them with a potato masher.
- Stir in the butter and enough of the milk, heated, to reach the desired consistency. Stir in the scallion and salt and pepper to taste.