Recipe by StickyToffee
From The New Book of Middle Eastern Food by Claudia Roden. Everything in that cookbook is delicious and this is one of my favorites. I've increased the amount of pine nuts because I love them!
Top Review by I'mPat
Did love the taste of the dish though thought the cinnamon was a little bit too much (I had scaled back for 3 serves using carisma potatoes which are low GI) but felt the mix was too sloppy for our tastes so would cut back on the butter and milk to make the consistency we like but loved the addition of the crunchy toasted pine nuts, thank you Sticky Toffee, made for Name that Ingredient tag game.
- 2 lbs mealy potatoes
- ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes till done.
- Peel and mash them with the salt, pepper, cinnamon, butter and milk.
- Saute onions in olive oil till browned, adding pine nuts toward the end so they get toasted.
- Serve the potatoes hot, spread flat on a platter and topped with the onion pine nut mixture.