Recipe by Debster
The carmelized onions make these potatoes so special.
Top Review by Bergy
Had a friend staying that loves parsnips, also had someone here not too fond of them SOooooo along came this great recipe. I would call it a cold weather recipe but it went over well here in the Summer. I did cut back on the butter and used only a half cup 2% milk. Loved the blended flavors of the onion, parsnip and potatoe - Thanks Debster
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 large onions, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 6 parsnips or 6 turnips or 6 rutabagas, peeled and sliced
- 4 large rusett potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup milk, heated
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook until golden, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
- Mix in rosemary and put onions aside.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil.
- Add parsnips and potatoes; boil until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Return vegetables to pot and mash.
- Add warm milk and 1 1/2 tablespoons butter; stir until smooth.
- Stir in onion mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.