Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A compliment to roasted meats, vegetarian entrees or hearty winter greens.
Make and share this Mashed Potatoes with Organic Mushroom Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 5 baking potatoes
- 1⁄4 lb butter, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 5 organic domestic mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Peel potatoes and dice into equal pieces.
- Place in a pot with cold water, covering the potatoes by two inches.
- Boil until tender.
- Potatoes are overcooked if water is cloudy and white.
- Drain and place potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Add sliced butter.
- Warm heavy cream slowly in the same pot.
- Whip potatoes and butter til smooth or to desired consistency.
- Slowly add cream.
- Salt to taste.
- In a large saute pan, add 2 Tbsp of pure olive oil or enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan evenly.
- Heat oil on high.
- When the oil begins to ripple, add the sliced mushrooms.
- Without moving the mushrooms, allow them to brown til golden.
- Turn mushrooms and do the same on the other side.
- Turn heat to low and add sliced garlic and red pepper flakes.
- When garlic is lightly golden, drain excess oil from pan.
- Dust pan with flour and whisk in milk.
- Whisk til gravy consistency and salt to taste.
- If too thick, adjust with more milk, and if too thin, continue to reduce liquid over low heat.