- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup packed chopped green onion, bottoms and tops
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender; drain and return to pot.
- Cook over low heat until any water from potatoes evaporates.
- Place a kitchen towel across the top of pot, cover pot with lid and remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.
- Mash hot potatoes in pot; set aside.
- Butter large serving bowl.
- Bring milk to simmer in medium saucepan.
- Add chopped green onion and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add milk mixture and half of melted butter to mashed potatoes and mix well; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon potatoes into prepared serving bowl; using back of spoon, make a well in center of potatoes.
- Pour remaining butter into well and serve.