Prep 0 mins
Cook 31 mins
Found this garlic mashed potato recipe on the back package of a five pound bag of russet potatoes. Compliments of Pacific Gold Company. I omitted eight garlic cloves in the original recipe and added garlic whistles instead. If the whistles (also known as scapes) are not available, add fresh garlic chives, although the taste will be quite different.
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 garlic scapes, sliced (whistles)
- Scrub the potatoes (peel if you wish) and add to a pot of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil, partially covered, and cook for about 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes but *RESERVE* the cooking liquid. Add the potatoes back to the pot and mash with a potato masher.
- Turn on the heat to medium and whisk enough of the reserved cooking water with the potatoes to bring them to a thick, creamy consistency. Do not overmix.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat up the olive oil either on the range or in the microwave just until warm.
- Pour the olive oil on the potatoes and add the garlic whistles. Stir to combine.
- Serve hot.