Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Onion, red pepper flakes and 6 cloves of garlic make these a bit different than all the other garlic mashed potato recipes I've seen. From a Meijer's recipe card.
- 3 lbs russet potatoes or 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, chopped
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 2 -3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1⁄2-1 cup milk
- Place potatoes, garlic and onion in a large saucepan of lightly salted boililng water. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Return potatoes and garlic to pan, heat slightly to remove excess moisture. Mash potatoes in pan, add red pepper flakes, butter, horseradish and chives. Gradually stir in enough milk to make potatoes fluffy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make ahead: Make potatoes as directed. Transfer to a 1 1/2 to 2 qt casserole dish coated with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. Bake covered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover and bake for 40 minutes more or until heated through.
What nice variation to the standard mashed potatoes. I made these as directed, except that I forgot to add the chives. Simple and tasty. Thanks Margie99 for a nice new keeper. Made for 123 Tag.
This is so-o-o good! I followed exactly and wouldn't change a thing. I used the make ahead method where you bake it in the oven. Turned out great. Made for Zaar Newest Tag Game 2011.