Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
this total comfort food is perfect for the holidays, from the NY Times
Make and share this Mashed Potatoes With Corn and Chives recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs thin-skinned potatoes, like Yukon Golds, scrubbed but not peeled, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped chives
- Place potatoes and garlic in pot, cover with water and boil until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove with slotted spoon and place in large bowl; add corn to boiling water and cook 2 minutes. Drain.
- Mash potatoes and garlic or put through a food mill. (A food mill will leave behind much of the skin.)
- Stir corn into mashed potatoes with enough buttermilk to make a medium-firm texture.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in chives.
- To keep for up to one day, refrigerate, covered.
- To serve, place in glass dish, cover with plastic wrap and put in a microwave oven for about 8 minutes on high, stirring once or twice while reheating. If potatoes become too dry, stir in a little buttermilk.
I never used garlic or chives in a mashed potato recipe, but in this one, it worked. And the buttermilk made it especially smooth and creamy. I made this twice, and it was a big hit, with my family, both times.
these are amazingly good will be a go to dish , sorry for your moms passing
Delish! I used green onion instead of chives and did make them a little chunkier, which is how I like them. The garlic in this was awesome and the fresh corn was a great addition. Made for a Cook-a-thon in chia's memory, along with Sauteed Spinach With Mushrooms. Thanks chia!