Recipe by Ackman
This was started by my mom and was a main holiday staple in our household for MANY YEARS, but it is SO good, we have it quite often! People raise an eyebrow when we tell them about it, but after they taste it, they're HOOKED!!! You can adjust the amount to your needs. Just ENJOY!!!
Top Review by Toni in Colorado
Not rating it as have not tried this particular recipe. We started mashing carrots with potatoes when the kids were small. It was the only way we could get them to eat carrots! I actually whipped them rather than just mashing them after adding butter and milk, so there were no bits. Of course the potatoes had a light orange tint. Tried it with peas too; that one was a disaster! Thanks for posting. Toni
- 8 medium red potatoes
- 6 -7 medium carrots
- 1⁄4 lb butter, do NOT use margarine
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- Lawry's Seasoned Salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and lightly scrub potatoes, cutting away any bad spots, but do NOT peel. Leave whole.
- Wash and lightly scrub carrots, removing ends, but do NOT peel. Cut in half or quarters.
- Place potatoes and carrots in large deep pan and add enough COLD water to cover about an inch above. Add 1-2 teaspoons salt to water, if desired.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. When water comes to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook until tender.
- When done, quickly and carefully, drain off all the water into colander.
- Return potatoes and carrots to pan ASAP!
- Immediately add the butter and seasonings; cover until butter is melted.
- Add the buttermilk a little at a time while mashing until desired consistency.
- Serve hot.