1/2 Photos of Mashed Potatoes With Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese
Raquel Grinnell's Note:
An amazing combination - really, how can you go wrong with this??
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (Russett or Yukon Gold work best)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 ounces goat cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender.
- 2In the meantime, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the sugar and stir frequently, until onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 30-40 minutes. If the onions get too dry, add a small amount of water to deglaze the pan. Set aside.
- 3While the potatoes and onions are cooking, heat the half and half, garlic, bay leaf, and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- 4When done, drain the potatoes and return them to the hot, dry pot. Stir them over low heat for 2 minutes until they are dry. Pass the potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl.
- 5Discard the garlic and bay leaf from cream. Gently stir in the hot cream a little at a time until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. You may not need to use all of the liquid.
- 6Set aside a small amount of the caramelized onions for garnish and stir the remaining onions into the mashed potatoes. Crumble the goat cheese into the potatoes and stir to combine well. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- 7Spoon the mashed potatoes into a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining caramelized onions. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Potatoes With Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 673.2
- Calories from Fat 326
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.7 g
- Cholesterol 92.1 mg
- Sodium 245.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 18.2 g