Recipe by crazycookinmama
I got this recipe out of the Martha Stewart Living Annual Recipes 2003 book. It's very tasty, and good enough for a week night side, or even good enough for a dinner party.
- 5 lbs russet potatoes or 5 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 8 ounces bacon (About 10 Slices)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted,plus
- more unsalted butter, for baking dish
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 small onion, grated on the large holes of a box grater,juice reserved
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh chives, finely chopped (About 1/4 Cup)
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese (About 10 Ounces)
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Peel potatoes, and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Place in a large saucepan, and add enough cold water to cover by about 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook until easily pierced with a paring knife, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander to drain; return to pan, cover, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add bacon, and cook until crisp and browned, turning once.
- Transfer to paper towels; let cool, and crumble.
- Using a fork, mash potatoes in pan until light and fluffy; add cream cheese, butter, and sour cream, and stir until combined and smooth.
- Add the onion and any onion juice, chives, 2 cups cheese, half the bacon, salt, and pepper.
- Stir until well combined.
- Transfer to a buttered 3-quart baking dish.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake until top is slightly golden and potatoes are heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven; garnish with remaining bacon.
- Serve immediately.