Recipe by HokiesMom
From Quick Cooking magazine of 2005...just like the filling in a twice-baked baking potatoes but using either freshly made or leftover mashed potatoes. I like making extra mashed potatoes and then making this dish. I also like to add a bit of extra chopped green onion and extra crumbled bacon to the topping before baking. Yummy!
- 118.29 ml green onion, chopped fine
- 118.29 ml red pepper, chopped fine (optional)
- 14.79 ml canola oil
- 946.36 ml mashed potatoes (prepared with milk & butter, leftovers are fine)
- 236.59 ml cheddar cheese, shredded (divided 1/2 c and 1/2 c)
- 59.14 ml bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled (turkey bacon works fine)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small skillet, saute onion and red pepper in oil until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion mixture, mashed potatoes, 1/2 c cheese, bacon, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a lightly sprayed/greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese (and if desired, add some extra chopped green onion and extra crumbled cooked bacon to the top).
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.