Houmous Monster's Note:
*ADOPTED RECIPE* Originally one of Recipe*Zaar's famous MEAN CHEF's Recipes. Nothing has been changed or altered: The key to beautiful mashed potatoes is 1) dry cooked potatoes, 2) a ricer, 3) correct proportion of butter and half-and-half and 4) a gentle hand when incorporating the ingredients. To this master recipe you can add 1 cup grated cheese such as parmesan, roasted garlic cloves or anything else that suits your fancy. You can also cook other vegetables with the potatoes. Substitute things like celery root, parsnips, carrots or turnips for half of the potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, eyes and blemishes removed, cut into 2 inch chunks. If using russets, they can simply be bak or 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled, eyes and blemishes removed, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, total
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 1 cup whole milk or 1 cup half-and-half, warm
- ground black pepper
- 1Put potatoes in a large saucepan; add cold water to cover and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 2Bring to boil and continue to cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3Be careful not to overcook potatoes you plan to mash, because the starch cells will break down and create a sticky mash.
- 4Cook them just until a thin-bladed knife meets a bit of resistance.
- 5It is also important to drain the potatoes well after cooking to prevent gumminess.
- 6Drain potatoes well and return pan to low heat to dry thoroughly.
- 7Using a ricer, rice potatoes into pan.
- 8With a wooden spoon blend in butter, then warm milk or half-and-half.
- 9Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a big pinch of black pepper, or to taste.
- 10Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Potatoes - Master Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.4
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 44.7 mg
- Sodium 424.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 4.5 g