Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
2 in 1
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, peeled cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain into colander, return potatoes into pot.
- Mash or rice potatoes until light and fluffy.
- Add butter, cream, 1/2 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper to the mix; combine well.
- Combine ground beef, onion, mustard, egg, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup ketchup and the remaining pepper.
- Place 1/2 the meat mixture on a rimmed baking sheet, forming an 11 x 6 rectangle.
- Place the potato mixture (1-1/2 cups) on the meat, leaving a 1" border.
- Place the remaining meat mixture on top and around; form a loaf, encasing the potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then brush the remaining 2 Tablespoons ketchup over the meatloaf.
- Continue baking the loaf for another 20 minutes until loaf feels firm to the touch.
- Great with a fresh green salad and a chilled beer.