Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a nice twist on plain mashed taters. Points 2.
Make and share this Mashed Potatoes and Root Vegetables recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes or 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled,cubed
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled,diced (yellow variety)
- 1⁄2 cup rutabaga, peeled,diced
- 1⁄2 cup turnip, peeled,diced
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Prepare vegetables, cutting potatoes into chunks, and dicing sweet potato, rutabaga, and turnip.
- Warm cream, milk, butter, nutmeg, and pepper in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Cook vegetables in a large pot with salt and enough cold water to cover by 1/2".
- Cover pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are soft, but not falling apart, about 10 to12 minutes.
- Drain vegetables then return them to the pot.
- To evaporate any excess water, increase heat to high and cook vegetables briefly, just until they begin to stick slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir them constantly to prevent scorching.
- Mash vegetables using a potato ricer, electric mixer, food mill, or by hand with a masher.
- Once mashed, gradually stir in the warm milk mixture until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste for seasoning and serve hot.