1/3 Photos of Mashed Potatoes and Carrots With Paprika and Parsley
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe, based on one from Cooks Illustrated, is a nice variation on traditional mashed potatoes. (I've used lower fat ingredients to reduce the calories) The color is just incredible. And the carrots add a sweetness which particularly compliments pork. Like most mashed potato recipes, this freezes well, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare potatoes: Peel, quarter lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices; rinse well in 3 or 4 changes of cold water and drain.
- 2Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. When foaming subsides, add carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until butter is browned and carrots are caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes. (If after 4 minutes vegetables have not started to brown, increase heat to medium-high.).
- 3Add potatoes, broth, and 3/4 teaspoon salt and stir to combine. Cook, covered, over low heat (broth should simmer gently; do not boil), stirring occasionally, until potatoes fall apart easily when poked with fork and all liquid has been absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. (If liquid does not gently simmer after a few minutes, increase heat to medium-low.) Remove pan from heat; remove lid and allow steam to escape for 2 minutes.
- 4Gently mash potatoes and root vegetables in saucepan with potato masher (do not mash vigorously). Gently fold in milk, parsley, and paprika. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, or freeze for future use.
Browse Our Top Mashed Potatoes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Potatoes and Carrots With Paprika and Parsley
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 277.3
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 486.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
2% evaporated milk