Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of my German husband's childhood favorites. He likes to turn it into a more savory dish by crumbling some fried bacon over it. Nice with fried meat like pork chops or sausages and green beans or broccoli.
- 4 cups carrots, in 1/4 inch slices (about 1 lbs)
- 1 lb potato (like Yukon Gold)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onion, minced (about 2 small)
- 3⁄4 cup water, hot
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup milk, hot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 -3 ounces bacon, diced, fried crisp (optional)
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pot with a tight fitting lid over medium high heat. Add onions and carrots and fry until onion is transparent, about 2 minutes.
- Add water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch dice. Add to carrots,cover, bring to a boil again and cook over low heat for 30 minutes until vegetables are completely soft and almost all liquid has evaporated.
- If there is some water, cook it off uncovered over high heat, shaking pot to avoid sticking.
- Mash vegetables with a masher.
- Add milk gradually, beating with a whisker until desired consistency. Depending on the starch in potatoes this might require about 1-1 1/4 cups milk.
- Add butter, salt, cayenne and nutmeg to taste.
- If using fried bacon bits, mix one half into vegetables and sprinkle other half on top.
I have never had a carrot/potato dish like this before. I love this easy, health dish and I'll be making it again. Made for More Than Sauerkraut And Dumplings 2012
i love pink potatoes and these are no exception try these you will love them
Great... My daughter was looking for this recipe since she would not take my word on how to fix it... I grew up with this dish.It was my " babyfood " to start out with...and that has been many years ago....