One of my German husband's childhood favorites. He likes to turn it into a more savory dish by crumbling some fried bacon over it. Nice with fried meat like pork chops or sausages and green beans or broccoli.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pot with a tight fitting lid over medium high heat. Add onions and carrots and fry until onion is transparent, about 2 minutes.
- Add water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch dice. Add to carrots,cover, bring to a boil again and cook over low heat for 30 minutes until vegetables are completely soft and almost all liquid has evaporated.
- If there is some water, cook it off uncovered over high heat, shaking pot to avoid sticking.
- Mash vegetables with a masher.
- Add milk gradually, beating with a whisker until desired consistency. Depending on the starch in potatoes this might require about 1-1 1/4 cups milk.
- Add butter, salt, cayenne and nutmeg to taste.
- If using fried bacon bits, mix one half into vegetables and sprinkle other half on top.