1/3 Photos of Mashed Potatoes and Carrots
Inge 1505's Note:
One of my German husband's childhood favorites. He likes to turn it into a more savory dish by crumbling some fried bacon over it. Nice with fried meat like pork chops or sausages and green beans or broccoli.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil in a medium-sized pot with a tight fitting lid over medium high heat. Add onions and carrots and fry until onion is transparent, about 2 minutes.
- 2Add water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- 3In the meantime peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch dice. Add to carrots,cover, bring to a boil again and cook over low heat for 30 minutes until vegetables are completely soft and almost all liquid has evaporated.
- 4If there is some water, cook it off uncovered over high heat, shaking pot to avoid sticking.
- 5Mash vegetables with a masher.
- 6Add milk gradually, beating with a whisker until desired consistency. Depending on the starch in potatoes this might require about 1-1 1/4 cups milk.
- 7Add butter, salt, cayenne and nutmeg to taste.
- 8If using fried bacon bits, mix one half into vegetables and sprinkle other half on top.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Potatoes and Carrots
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.9
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 16.1 mg
- Sodium 444.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 5.9 g