Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Basic mashed potato recipe plus 6 festive flavor variations.
- 1814.36 g yukon gold potatoes
- 4.92 ml sea salt
- 236.59 ml warm milk
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter
- salt and pepper
- For variations, see below.
- Peel and quarter potatoes. Add to large pot, cover with 3" of cold water, and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and simmer potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid and drain potatoes in colander.
- Return potatoes to pot with milk, butter and 1/2 cup reserved liquid.
- Mash with potato masher until almost smooth, adding more cooking liquid as needed.
- Season to taste.
- Bacon-onion mash: Mix 8 chopped, cooked slices bacon and 3/4 cup finely chopped scallion greens into finished potatoes.
- Garlic mash: Wrap 1 head garlic in foil. Roast in 400 degree oven, 45 minutes. Squeeze cloves into milk for potatoes and mash with fork.
- Blue cheese mash: Use low-fat buttermilk instead of milk and fold in 3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles.
- Herb mash: Stir fresh herbs (such as 1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, chives, or chervil) into finished potatoes.
- Extra creamy mash: Whisk 1/2 cup cream cheese and 3/4 cup chopped fresh chives into finished potatoes.
- Spicy mash: Fold 2 teaspoons canned chipotle in adobo sauce and 1/4 cup sour cream into finished potatoes.
We loved these tasty mashed potatoes. Made exactly as written for the Extra Creamy Mash. The perfect comfort food. Served with pork tenderloin and spicy carrotes. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe variations, i'll be trying the Garlic Mash next. Made for Cookbook Favorites 2012.
My family's favorite comfort food. I made the creamy version. Easy and Delish!! Made for I recommend Tag.
I made the blue cheese version, and they turned out fantastic. I usuallt dont use buttermilk in potatoes, and just that added a nice flavor to these. Served with a chicken dinner. Made for I Reccomend tag