Recipe by AlainaF
Basic mashed potato recipe plus 6 festive flavor variations.
Top Review by Baby Kato
We loved these tasty mashed potatoes. Made exactly as written for the Extra Creamy Mash. The perfect comfort food. Served with pork tenderloin and spicy carrotes. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe variations, i'll be trying the Garlic Mash next. Made for Cookbook Favorites 2012.
- 4 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For variations, see below.
- Peel and quarter potatoes. Add to large pot, cover with 3" of cold water, and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and simmer potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid and drain potatoes in colander.
- Return potatoes to pot with milk, butter and 1/2 cup reserved liquid.
- Mash with potato masher until almost smooth, adding more cooking liquid as needed.
- Season to taste.
- Bacon-onion mash: Mix 8 chopped, cooked slices bacon and 3/4 cup finely chopped scallion greens into finished potatoes.
- Garlic mash: Wrap 1 head garlic in foil. Roast in 400 degree oven, 45 minutes. Squeeze cloves into milk for potatoes and mash with fork.
- Blue cheese mash: Use low-fat buttermilk instead of milk and fold in 3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles.
- Herb mash: Stir fresh herbs (such as 1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, chives, or chervil) into finished potatoes.
- Extra creamy mash: Whisk 1/2 cup cream cheese and 3/4 cup chopped fresh chives into finished potatoes.
- Spicy mash: Fold 2 teaspoons canned chipotle in adobo sauce and 1/4 cup sour cream into finished potatoes.