1/4 Photos of Mashed Potatoes 6 Ways
Basic mashed potato recipe plus 6 festive flavor variations.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1For variations, see below.
- 2Peel and quarter potatoes. Add to large pot, cover with 3" of cold water, and bring to a boil.
- 3Add salt and simmer potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
- 4Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid and drain potatoes in colander.
- 5Return potatoes to pot with milk, butter and 1/2 cup reserved liquid.
- 6Mash with potato masher until almost smooth, adding more cooking liquid as needed.
- 7Season to taste.
- 8Bacon-onion mash: Mix 8 chopped, cooked slices bacon and 3/4 cup finely chopped scallion greens into finished potatoes.
- 9Garlic mash: Wrap 1 head garlic in foil. Roast in 400 degree oven, 45 minutes. Squeeze cloves into milk for potatoes and mash with fork.
- 10Blue cheese mash: Use low-fat buttermilk instead of milk and fold in 3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles.
- 11Herb mash: Stir fresh herbs (such as 1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, chives, or chervil) into finished potatoes.
- 12Extra creamy mash: Whisk 1/2 cup cream cheese and 3/4 cup chopped fresh chives into finished potatoes.
- 13Spicy mash: Fold 2 teaspoons canned chipotle in adobo sauce and 1/4 cup sour cream into finished potatoes.
Browse Our Top Mashed Potatoes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mashed Potatoes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Potatoes 6 Ways
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.5
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 13.0 mg
- Sodium 210.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 3.5 g