Recipe by CindiJ
I am constantly changing up our mashed potatoes. This is the best base recipe I have ever used. Great with Chicken Fried Steak, Fried Chicken, add roasted garlic and asiago cheese for a steak dinner...I could go on and on. My sons love my mashed potatoes and I've been known to mash 5+ pounds for family dinners. I prefer to use Yukon Gold but have made with russet and red, new potatoes, blues, etc. I hope you will enjoy these as much as we do.
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel (optional) and cube potatoes, salt lightly and cover with water and boil until fork tender. Drain well. Return potatoes to pan and heat for approximately 30 seconds to evaporate any remaining water.
- Using mashing hand tool, smash potatoes (in pot) to desired level of smoothness.
- Add sour cream and continue mashing.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons butter and continue mashing.
- Add half-n-half slowly - you may not need the entire amount. When potatoes are the desired consistency, season with salt and pepper and paprika. Taste and adjust seasonings according to your tastes.
- Serve hot.
- *These can be made ahead and kept warm in crock pot or casserole dish and reheated in oven. Left-overs are great for potato pancakes.