Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe my daughter Heather came up with, though when she makes it she adds more butter and cheese than what I've stated. When I say spring onion I'm referring to the one without the onion on the end. I think Americans call it scallions and it is also known as green onions. You could try different cheeses.
- 1 kg potato
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk (warm)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 spring onion
- 30 g ham
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Peel and cut potatoes into large chunks; place in a pot; cover with cold water; cook over medium heat until tender but still holding their shape.
- While the potatoes are cooking, grate the cheeses, finely slice the spring onion, and chop the ham into small pieces.
- Warm the milk.
- Drain potatoes; return to the stove for a minute or two to dry out the water.
- Mash potatoes; add the butter and warm milk. You should have a smooth thick mixture.
- Add the Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, spring onion, ham, and salt and pepper to taste; mix well with the potatoes.
Yum! I rarely make mash since I don't particularly like potatoes, but DH loves mash, so this was a treat for him! And a really good treat too!! I made half the recipe, just for us, and I omitted the ham, since we were having bangers 'n' mash, plus onion and mushroom gravy, overall, a real comfort meal and you really made his night, Pat, thank you :) Made for PRMR tag game
finally mr picky loves this one good one pat
Loved these. I did not use the ham, but did use everything else. I scaled down the recipe to make two servings, but now I wish I had some leftovers. Barely more work than plain mashed potatoes, but a lot of flavor.