1/4 Photos of Mashed Potato Truffles: Dark Chocolate and Orange #SP5
1 hr 20 mins
Just Garlic's Note:
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix #SP5 Potatoes aren't just for savory dishes--they belong in dessert, too! This is a simple base recipe for indulgent candy truffles. I use chocolate and orange as my flavors here, but you can change flavors easily while keeping the basic amounts the same. For each 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes, you'll want: 1 cup of some kind of chocolate*, up to 2 Tb of fruit juice (zest too!) OR 1 tsp flavored extract like almond, then another cup of something to roll your truffles in (melted chocolate/white chocolate, shredded coconut, cocoa powder, crushed nuts). Want to make things look fancy? Add a few sprinkles, crushed potato chips, or a contrasting chocolate drizzle. *Note that "white" chocolate doesn't set like chocolate does. If you want to use it for your filling, allow 3 hours to chill in a freezer, then thaw and form balls, OR follow the recommended amounts but also add 2 cups shredded coconut to help thicken and chill normally.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 1 navel orange, zest and juice
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips, divided
- 1In a mixing bowl, combine well the mashed potatoes, the zest of one navel orange, and the juice of half of the orange.
- 2Melt 1 cup of the chocolate chips either in a double boiler, or by heating in the microwave for approximately 1.5 minutes, stirring every 25-30 seconds.
- 3Once the chocolate is thoroughly melted, add it to the potato mixture, stir well to combine, then allow the mix to chill in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes, or until a scooped portion of the mix can be easily shaped (rolled in your hands).
- 4Line a baking sheet with wax paper. You're ready to form the truffles: scoop an approximately tablespoon-sized amount of the filling, and form into a ball by rolling with your hands. Set these on the wax paper, then allow the balls to chill in the refrigerator or freezer for another 30 minutes.
- 5Melt the remaining chocolate chips and dip the chilled filling balls to coat completely. The chocolate sets quickly, so work fast, and enjoy! These keep very well in the refrigerator and freezer and make great gifts.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Potato Truffles: Dark Chocolate and Orange #SP5
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.3
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 48.7 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes